VEGAN CHOCOLATE AND RASPBERRY YULE LOG
Preparation: Approximately 1 hour
Cooking time: 12 to 14 Minutes
Waiting time: 2 hours
Yield: about 6 servings
Our favorite part of the holiday season? Reinventing the classics!
In collaboration with our good friends at Meunerie Milanaise & Maison Orphée, we’ve come up with a great vegan chocolate and raspberry yule log recipe. Not only will it satisfy your sweet tooth, but it will also please everyone.
We hope that this sweet treat will bring a dose of joy and comfort to your home despite the current circumstances. Wishing you all a very happy holiday season!
For the sponge cake :
1. Preheat oven to 350 and place parchment paper on a baking sheet. Set aside.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the chickpea water / aquafaba to stiff peaks (this takes about 5-7 minutes). When peaks form, add ½ cup of cane sugar. The mixture should hold together and not be liquid. Add applesauce, remaining cane sugar, and yogurt. At low speed, combine until smooth.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, sifted cocoa, and baking powder. Mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold them in with a spatula, without over-mixing.
5. Pour the mixture evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (time may vary from oven to oven).
6. While cooking, take a clean dishcloth and place it on the counter. Sift the cloth with cocoa. When the sponge cake is cooked, remove it from the oven and invert it onto the cloth. Then gently roll your sponge cake with the cloth.
7. Refrigerate and let it cool for at least 2 hours.
For the filling :
1. Melt the coconut oil in a small pan, add the raspberries and reduce over low heat until you have a jam. Let it cool. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the log.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add icing sugar.
3. When everything seems to be combined, add the vanilla. Beat until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the log.
For the chocolate icing :
1. In a bowl, heat the plant-based milk for 1 minute in the microwave (alternating 20 seconds). It should be hot enough to melt the chocolate.
2. Immediately add the chocolate and allow to melt for 2 minutes without stirring. Cover the bowl to keep the mixture hot.
3. Mix gently to incorporate the chocolate and add the coconut oil. Cover once more and leave to stand for ten minutes.
4. Using a hand mixer or whisk, beat the mixture until well incorporated. Then add 1 cup of icing sugar (sifted to reduce lumps) and beat again.
5. Refrigerate for 1 hour to 1 hour 45 minutes or until the icing starts to set.
6. Remove the icing from the fridge and beat again. If the mixture is still too runny, add ¼ cup of icing sugar at a time until desired texture is achieved (see notes).
For final assembly :
1. When the sponge cake has rested for 2 hours, take it out of the fridge and roll it out.
2. Cover it with the buttercream and then the raspberry jam.
3. Roll the cake again. Coat with chocolate icing and decorate as desired.
4. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
5. Enjoy in good company!
Notes: For the icing, we got the best texture when we added an extra 1/2 cup of icing sugar, for a total of 1 1/2 cups. However, trust your senses and taste as you go to get a nice balance of texture and flavor.
Also, to make it easier for you, it is possible to complete all the steps the day before and assemble the next day.