Tofu scramble on avocado toast
Time required: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
This tofu scramble is not much of a scramble: it’s la crème de la crème of all scrambles, eggs included. The secret is our organic spreadable cheese…
Then we take that scramble, and layer it on top of what is now the ultimate avocado toast.
It would be decadent if it wasn’t plant-based: This is only fortifying!
- Oil the pan or butter it.
- Sauté the onion and put a lid on it so it stays moist and doesn’t burn, add a little water if needed; it is less rich than adding oil.
- Once the onion is golden brown, caramelized, add the tofu (you can blend your tofu lightly in a blender, but be careful not to turn it into a sauce…). You can also mash it directly in the pan.
- On low heat, mix in a pinch of turmeric, very little is needed: too much turmeric tends to give the dish an odd greenish yellow, not eggy enough, unless of course you want “green eggs and ham”…
- Then add the salt, pepper and garlic powder followed by the minced green onions. Finally, mix the cheese with about ½ a cup of water to turn it into a thick cream that you will then add to the scramble. This will make your tofu feel like a moist and delicious scramble.
- Toast and butter the bread. Layer the scramble on the toast, followed by the avocados, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Play with it until it has the right look and feel. Modifying this recipe is the key to a visually pleasing sandwich. This dish takes a little time. Don’t scramble at the last minute…