Time required: 20 minutes
Yield: 8-10 portions for hors d’oeuvres
Becoming vegan & plant-based doesn’t mean cutting on all the good foods you used to enjoy – like the irresistible combo of lox + bagels! Meet our veganized version of this brunch staple – the homemade carrot lox and vegan cream cheese bagel combo – so good, even non-vegans will love it!
- Wash the carrots, cut off the ends and peel them, but leave whole. Boil water in a double boiler. Place the carrots in the pot and reduce the heat. Steam cook them until tender (anywhere from 15-20 mins. if large carrots). Pierce them with a sharp knife and if it glides in easily the carrots are ready.
- Marinade. Mix the dulse, water, tamari, maple syrup, vinegar, paprika, garlic powder and salt, pepper.
- When the carrots are ready, remove from the stove, let them cool a little bit and slice them into strips with a very sharp knife.
- Transfer the carrot strips to a baggy and poor in the marinade. Leave for 24 to 48 hrs in the fridge.
- Squeeze lemon juice over carrot lox and serve with lemon quarters. Perfect with Le Grand cheese spread, sliced red onions and capers!
- The carrot lox keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days.