Maple syrup date squares
Time required: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 generous squares
Have you ever tried a date square made with maple syrup? This Nordic touch brings a very delicious taste to your mouth.
This recipe can be frozen and is perfect for a sweet and healthy snack.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and lightly butter a 9 inch (8×8) square baking dish and ine it with parchment paper.
- Add the chopped dates, coconut sugar, the lemon juice, the maple syrup, salt and water to a medium sized pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook on medium to low heat for 5 mins or until thickened. Stir frequently to ensure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Set aside the date filling to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flour, coconut sugar and baking soda (cinnamon optional). Drizzle the melted butter over the dry mixture and mix until crumbly.
- Press half of the mixture into the square baking dish.
- Pour the date filling over the base spreading evenly with a spatula and spread the remaining oat mixture on top.
- Bake for 45 mins or until the top is a golden hue and the sides caramelized. Set aside for 30 mins to let them cool and then remove from the pan and cut generous squares.
These squares are the best healthy snack and they keep for up to a week.