La crème de la crème Chocolate Brownies
Time required: 45 minutes
Yield: 16 large squares
Unbelievable Brownies loaded with vegetables…but who knew!
These vegan, gluten free, whole food plant based brownies are the Crème de la Crème of brownie recipes! Loaded with vegetables so chock full of fibre; gluten free; vegan…and to top it off they’ll taste better than any other brownie recipe! Guaranteed!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a flat standard baking sheet with parchment paper to cook the vegetables. Then line and lightly butter a jelly-roll pan (same as a baking sheet, but smaller) 15 ½ x 10 ½ x 1 inch. This size is very important to get a brownie that is the right size! Take the time and measure your pan to have the closest possible size to these measurements.
- In a small bowl, mix the ground flax and chia with ½ cup of water. Set aside to thicken.
- Peel beet and sweet potato. Grate beet, zucchini and sweet potato and spread across the lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 25 mins to “dry” the vegetables out. An important step so they do not add too much moisture to the brownies.
- While the vegetables are cooking cream the butter and sugar together and beat at medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well blended and smooth.
- Add chia and flax “eggs” and blend on high speed for 2 mins.
- In a medium sized bowl mix both flours, vanilla powder, baking powder and salt all together.
- Alternately blend in the flour mixture and the yogurt until there are no clumps (I use a hand held mixture, but be sure to not overmix).
- Mix in the cocoa powder (again I use the hand held mixer to get out all the clumps).
- Check your vegetables. You do not want to brown them, only gently cook them to reduce their water content.
- When the vegetables are ready stir them in by hand (it’s ok if you’ve just taken them out of the oven).
- Mix in the chopped walnuts.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Cook for 40 to 50 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- When the brownies are ready let them sit for an hour to set before lifting them out of the pan by holding the sides of the parchment paper.
- While they’re cooling prepare the chocolate icing recipe if you’re going all the way in!
- Cut and serve. They’ll keep in the fridge for a week.
- With a hand mixer beat the butter with the cocoa for 2 mins or until the cocoa is well incorporated.
- Mix in the plant based milk and the pure vanilla extract.
- Gently mix in the icing sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Your texture should be perfect! If not just add a little more milk if too thick or a little more icing sugar if too thin.
- Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Spreads beautifully over brownies or cakes and leftovers freeze very well.