Vegan & gluten free pie crust
Time required: 30 minutes + set overnight
Yield: 2 pie crusts or one very large with a double crust
An easy recipe for gluten-free pie crust. A tender and flaky gluten-free pie crust that also has a dairy-free and vegan option, thanks to LeGrand vegan butter. This pie crust is ready for your favorite filling! Perfect for holiday baking either for sweet or savory recipes!
- Cut the butter into large chunks (tablespoon size is good) and put in the freezer for 20-30 mins.
- Fill your water and put it in the freezer so it’s icy!
- Weigh each of your flours and salt. Fastest route is a large bowl on the scale and add each flour directly into the bowl. Mix well.
- Add the very cold butter pieces to the flour mixture and gently break up between your fingers as you run the butter through the flour. It’ll take no more than a couple of minutes to get to the size of peas.
- Add the vinegar to ½ cup of your freezing cold water. Set aside the ¼ cup of ice water until after.
- Slowly add the water and vinegar to your flour/butter mixture. Mix until you can gather the mixture into a ball. Use the rest of the water to gather the bits that are hanging around the bottom of your bowl.
- Put the dough in a plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- The following day when your dough is ready to be rolled out, take it out of the fridge and cut it in half. Put the other half back in the fridge.
- Shape your dough into a disk and spread some white rice flour on your countertop. Tap a bit of flour on your rolling pin and roll out your lovely gluten-free crust!
- Once you have rolled out your dough, lay it out across your pie plate or flip the plastic onto your pie plate.
- Crimp the edges and don’t forget pinpricks across the bottom of the pie crust.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and put a baking sheet on the second level of your oven to catch any drippings from the pie.
- Fill with your sweet or salty ingredients and bake according to the recipe!