Art Focaccia with vegan butter
Time: 45 minutes + 2 hours leavening
Yield: 6-8 portions
A feast for the eyes and a finger-licking food for the soul – there’s no opportunity missed to punch up the nutritional benefits of your favorite meal! Generously lather Legrand Vegan butter on your traditional focaccia recipe to get that flaky, tender, and veggie-adorned flatbread and get carried away with this complete sensory experience.
- Add the warm water to the bowl of your stand mixer and drizzle in the maple syrup. Stir to combine and then sprinkle the yeast evenly over the surface of the water.
- Allow the yeast to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Pour in the butter and turn on the mixer to low and allow the ingredients to mix.
- Add in roughly 3 cups of the flour and the salt and mix in with the dough hook attachment. Keep adding the remaining flour until the dough comes together and is only slightly sticky.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and with floured hands, knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and elastic. If you poke your finger into the dough, it should bounce back a little bit.
- Place the dough in a buttered bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and place in a warm spot to rise until it has doubled in size, about 60-90 minutes (the actual rise time will depend on the temperature of your house and the type of yeast you use. Instant yeast will rise faster than active dry yeast).
- Once the dough has risen, oil a large rimmed baking sheet with roughly 3 tablespoons of vegan butter and then remove the dough from the bowl, gently pressing it down to release excess air bubbles.
- Using your hands, gently and gradually stretch the dough over the pan in an even, flat layer. It doesn’t have to be perfect, as we are going to let this rise again and any imperfections will even out. Just try to get it as evenly spread out as you can.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for another hour.
- After the dough has risen again, preheat the oven to 425°F and prepare the toppings.
- Display your toppings as you would with an art canva – get creative!
- Assemble and bake for 15-20 minutes